sautéed gnocchi

sautéed gnocchi

Thursday, March 31, 2011

Charleston, South Carolina


We docked here in Charleston just before 8am today. I don't know what jetties Captain Luca mowed over last night, but where ever they were, they're gone now. Man, it was rocky!

Cloudy, overcast and cool, but at least it's not raining. Chef Kelly and I set out to hunt for more kitchen equipment for the student stations. My menus are different than the ones she's been teaching, therefore, different tools are required. Plus, the ovens and two burner induction cook tops are small so the standard equipment can't be used in them. Hard to find 6" paella pans and small pizza stones. Will have to get those in New York on Saturday. I did find my gnocchi boards and a few other things though.

Also picked up 12 lbs of Epsom salt for my therapeutic bath soaks that Allison taught me how to take. Remember: Always sit in the tub till the water empties to watch your stress and worries go down the drain, too. (Love you, Allicat!)

























We ate lunch at Hominy Grill, thanks to the recommendation of John M.! Fun Southern place with shrimp 'n grits, fried catfish, cornbread, and lots of Southern veggies. Okra! Yum. I love the South! Charleston is a charming little city with a great downtown that reminded me of the New Orleans French Quarter. (Thank you, Kathryn, for my Hominy Grill mug!)

I'll post pictures as soon as I get the internet going. For some reason I can't do it by phone. Boo. Until then, I'm going to look for my cabana boy at the gym. I'm sure he's waiting for me with my ice cold hand towel.

Chef Kelly and I have prep work to do tonight to get her ready for her two classes tomorrow: Basic Pasta Skills and Southwest Cuisine. Tomorrow is a day at sea as we sail up to NYC.

Cheers :)

2 comments:

  1. Hey...I thought I was your cabana boy! :) Glad you're having fun out there and getting settled in out there. You're missed very, very much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Captain Luca!? I love it

    You haven't even left The States and your adventures already sound so glamorous. Keep the posts coming - I'm living vicariously through you.
    lots of love - Krista

    ReplyDelete